I have played this game for around three weeks now. And I have come to a point today where i just thought:”why am I even doing this?”. I really liked this game at the start and I am still hyped. But the truth is, that I have crafted and learned everything up to T5 and its getting repetitive and boring. The thing is, I dont even see what I am doing this for. Tell me to grind further and “experience the endgame” but tbh, no. Why would I?
I am already bored to hell and there is no “endgame” for me to be seen really, since joining one of big huge Alliances that control basically everything of the world atm is just not what I think is fun. Also we realized that the PVE just isnt existant at the time and the dungeon we’ve been running looks the same as on every tier. But let us get started. I will try to keep the sentences short and make suggestions on how to improve the game. I will also write down what I am missing in the game.
I have seen many games try to bring a new fresh vibe to MMOs and many had good ideas but just couldnt fix simple problems because they were maybe caught up in their worlds trying to make “the ultimate pvp” or “ultimate pve game”. What I see in this game is a great potential and this game could easily become one of the best things I have ever played. The world and atmosphere is beautiful and Id like to see more of that – so here is what I see is wrong and needs to be adressed BEFORE introducing new biomes or anything. In its current state and even with some upcoming travel and gathering changes, this game will not last more than a few months after release for a bigger audience. Here is why:
A) PVE: There is zero PVE content:
Dungeons are copied-pasted-trash-pack caves (with no way out once u are in the middle). There “bosses” are big trash mobs. There is no PVE gear/loot/resources/crafting recipes/ rare materials to gain. The dungeon maps are the same for EVERY dungeon. the mobs are the same for EVERY dungeon. the abilities vary only slightly. There are no Events. There is no special boss tactic/challenge. No World Bosses and no world events. In your trailer you speak about “everybody matters” but for what do they matter? No one finds it fun to grind for others doing pvp in the Zones, well at least no one that is not insane.
Ideas -> a good PVE system WILL give players something to play for and goals, while pvpers fight they could get something out of the dungeons/world events to help them win the PVP Zones. Or you could argue that PVE players would PVE to get better stuff for PVP. PVE Objectives also encourage PVP. For example you could fight for a dungeon before being able to enter. Or you can gank people that want to go to a PVE Dungeon or a world boss. There are many things this adds to a game like AO. In the end not every player wants to PVP 24/7 for nothing. Which leads to my next point:
B) PVP: My only question is – why even bother?
There are no players just outside looking for open PVP. There are no Outdoor PVP Objectives (no a chest with wood logs in it is not an objective). There are no 1v1 fights. Its a “bigger group of claymores wins” system. No Towers/Castles/Dungeons/Zone or guild buffs are gained via pvp. There are too many yellow zones without any use.
The only thing that is there is GvG if you are part of one of the, lets say four, big zerg guilds that are already at T8. Either you do GvG in the black zones or there is NOTHING to do for you in this game except for grinding to take part in it. This is fun for lets say 10% of the player base (?).
What I still dont quiet understand, and this might really just be me not knowing, is why the hell would you even take the risk to contest those black areas? What is the reward for owning territories and have a massive time sink into defending them against huge zergs? There is no gear for it, there is no Castle/Dungeon/Raid/Legendary weapons/Mounts/Rank for it. You can just say “man now we got this territory and can grind even more ressources with it to have more ressources… erm what?” – that just doesnt cut it for some people.
Small guilds have no part in the end game and can not experience it. There is no small scale PVP, no open world battles for ressources or gear, ground control via f.e. Towers or castles in red PVP Zones.
Ideas -> Introduce towers in Red Zones and make them yield a buff of some sort for that area. Make Dungeons contestable (at least some) so that there is actually a point of PVPing for something. Make Hell Gates matter. Maybe even remove yellow zones so that people have to gather in protected caravans to gather mats together, which is not as boring as mowing down trees endlessly to craft them and trash them in the study zone.
Implement things that can happen to us while we grind, so that we arent grinding stone or leather or wood without anything happening.What I also would suggest is to make something like safe spot Inventory Items. Those Items could not be lost when being looted, that way people would be able to go gather and actually try to pvp while at it, rather than having to go back to town storing everything in a chest und come back with their “pvp replaceable gear” and empty bags. If they do that at all. If you wouldnt be losing your axes, pickaxes or stonehammers, bags, or capes at least people wouldnt mind going for a fight. Losing my gear is ok, and even losing my ressources is okay, but what do my tools and bags have to do with a pvp fight?
the black zone GvG just isnt for everyone, it seems few alliances are dominating the whole place and there is absolutely no reason to contest it for smaller guilds. And even if bigger alliances form, and they fight over it. What do we actually gain from having those territories?
C) Random Stuff:
– the guild interface is a joke. I want to be able to clearly see who is where, Id like to whisper people out of the guild frame when I click their name, I want to invite them that way too. I would like to set a Gmessage of the day without a command. Id like to have things more visible. WoW did this 11 years ago, you can do better than this.
– friends list have the same issues the guild interface has. And please remove it out of the chat or at least make it more accessible.
– Make the Chat more userfriendly. It is a pain to use, and a pain to look at. Please just keep it simple and use formats that have worked in the past rather than inventing something new. Make people be able to bind chat replies.
– Overall customization of the game is terrible. I can not use name plates, there is no target of target, there are no symbols (I am fine with that but some people arent).
– Dungeons are copy paste garbage and no fun at all. Make specific dungeons with a certain theme or Idea or story behind it and shorten the overall number of them, so that they get contested.
– There could just be a wider range of models and NPCs in the game doing stuff, giving life to the world and attracting player attention.
– All towns have the same layout and look (like dungeons, and I know they will get a facelift soon).
– There is no GvG System other than the black zones -> maybe implement GvG fights apart from the Black Zones
– No world events
– the labourer system is just a pain and no fun
– Guild halls could be used to build (for example in the corners of the guild hall) a PROPER guild bank where you have an interface to store items, manage rights and access of ranks and see who withdrew and deposited what when. Just to have it there for guilds that dont want to deal with 8 chests in their hall. Give people the possibility to create what fits their play style. Maybe even a tavern or barracks for the labourers/mercenaries, so that u dont have 100 beds and tables standing around your guild hall. Like this there is no real use for guild halls, its just something u have where u store garbage your labourers need. Nothing social, nothing enjoyable, nothing of advantage, nothing to customize your guild style.
– Raid and Group interfaces are not really enjoyable
– No /who function or at least something along those lines
– Gem cutting could be introduced to customize gameplay
– Some buildings like the mill are just not really usefull to me and could very well be combined with other buildings. Overall the building choice is very limited and everyone has EVERY building sooner or later. This counts for private aswell as guild islands. Should either be harder to obtain or somewhat more interesting, or limited. Or need more ressources to get and upgrade.
– There are cool landmarks on the maps, but there is nothing there to do? You cant go into buildings, there are no NPCs that have some sort of story or quests, nothing to loot, or fight over. There are just tents or old torn down cathedrals that have no story or could be used to add LIFE to the world.
– Overall the game is just too flat and boring.
I would love to see this game succeed, there is just so much that has to be done, and I hope the devs do not think that sandbox means “no need to waste time on pve lol” and black zone is the sh1t everyone cares about. Because its not and people DO need rewards and stuff to work towards. Otherwise this will likely become a game for 1000 players that play GvG for nothing.